Saturday, February 15, 2014

Cat's out of the bag: I am sharing my blog on Facebook

After I write this blog I'm hitting the FB share button.  I'm really tired of hiding and feeling ashamed, although hitting that button is terrifying, but someone might relate to what I'm going through and then they don't have to feel so alone.

My eating disorder has been ruling my life for way too long.  Sharing with everyone I know might actually be helpful by keeping me more accountable on my road to recovery and allowing my support system to grow.

Do you have to be supportive?  Nope.

Do you have to know anything about eating disorders?  Nope.  (Although if you want to understand what I'm going through feel free to do research.)

Can you ask me questions?  Of course!

Do you have to walk on egg shells?  Nope.  In fact, just continue being the awesome person you are.

For me, I will prefer not to talk about weight, but if it comes up I will excuse myself from the conversation or change the subject if I'm feeling triggered.  If that happens, there is no need to feel bad.

With this blog I'm going to share my road to recovery and other aspects of my life like music, theatre and dance.  I will also touch on topics that mean a lot to me.  I want to take back beauty and redefine what the media considers beautiful.  Our society is so caught up with diet and fitness crazes.  How about accept yourself for who you are?  I'm learning that what I look like has no bearing on who I am as a person.  

Recovery is not going to be easy.  If you read the previous blogs you will see even though I want to recover so bad I still struggle.  It's a daily war.  Like today I don't want to eat anything, but with John's support I have been sticking to my meal plan.

I'm terrible at asking for what I need, but what I need right now is acceptance and support.  Join the fight to take back beauty for yourself, for your family, for your friends, and for anyone you care about.  We don't have to fight alone.




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your struggle, Emily. I had no idea. You always seem so happy. By telling your story I'm sure you will be helping not only yourself, but others who have the same issues. Good luck to you - you are very brave. Joan A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joan. I've learned a lot by being in treatment and I hope that I can finally feel like a whole person again. It will be quite the process.

    ReplyDelete