Friday, April 4, 2014

I accept my body

I want to say that phrase so bad.  I've had days that I'm maybe-kinda-okay with my body and I try to realize that's a big step.  The next day I may be back in the body hate zone, but I hope those days become less and less sooner rather than later.

It's really amazing how many people have come through the woodwork and shared their own personal struggles or struggles of someone they love.  I never thought I'd be called brave and strong for writing a blog.  I'm just typing away on my iPad and will read through a post over and over again before hitting the publish button because if you hadn't guessed by now...I'm neurotic (say it ain't so!).  I didn't really know what to expect, but receiving lots of feedback and hearing these amazing stories have really helped me.  So thank you to everyone (yes, I mean you).  What you have done has helped me achieve those maybe-kinda-okay phases.

What has also helped recently was assisting with costumes for a show.  I'd say most of the women in the cast were hard on themselves and were uncertain to wear certain costumes because of their bodies.  Unfortunately when you are in South Pacific you don't wear parkas.  You wear bathing suits or something akin to a bathing suit for some of your time on stage.  I remember the day (the day) that the women were figuring out which bathing suit concoction they would wear.  They were in and out of the bathroom changing.  I subtlety left the area and ate my evening snack because I was feeling somewhat anxious.  Later though when we were even closer to the show opening, I saw some of the women still feeling hesitant or insecure.  I thought everyone looked great!  Sharon and I were praising how amazing they looked because it was true, we don't lie.  Seeing all of the cast (not just the women) of all shapes and sizes looking wonderful in their costumes really helped me.  It was proof you don't have to look a certain way to be considered beautiful.  I had so much fun watching the show and seeing everyone shine on stage.

After all of these positive experiences, I'm looking forward to the day that I will say loud and clear I accept my body.



2 comments:

  1. Keep feeling positive about yourself! There is so much to you that you should allow yourself to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being there through all my tears and bad days!

    ReplyDelete