Friday, April 18, 2014

My seven days away from Facebook

When I disabled my Facebook account a week ago, I thought I was going to be away for a good amount of time, like a month.  Who knows, I may just turn around randomly and disable it again.

You could say I was stuck like glue to Facebook.  What's happening right now?!  Did anyone see my post?  Did my friend respond to that message?

Seriously, I was driving myself crazy and all I wanted was to feel connected to someone so I wouldn't have to feel so alone.  But being obsessed with Facebook actually made me feel more lonely than I realized and it created so much "noise" that I wasn't exactly paying attention to important things like my recovery or spending time with John or having a friend over to watch a movie.  You know, connecting with real people and myself.

I posted yesterday how I'm so ready kick ED's ass and I couldn't not share it even if no one was going to respond to it.  I'm taking Facebook like a grain of salt now.  You want to be my friend?  Cool.  You want to unfriend me?  Fine.  Until you tell me to my face we aren't friends or that I did something that offended you, I'm going on like everything is peachy keen.  Facebook isn't real.  It's this made up place where we all come to see how popular we are or to find out who our real friends are.

Guess what?  Finding out who your real friends are is by inviting them to coffee or to go shopping, texting them to see if they're doing okay, calling them (if you're a phone person) to just shoot the breeze. I'm not saying you can't still converse with people on Facebook and have them be real friends, but don't get so wrapped up in a virtual reality that you forget to live your real one.

2 comments:

  1. I have heard a lot of people say the same thing when taking a break from Facebook. We feel like we're missing something if we don't keep up with our feed, so while the rest of the group is having a dinner conversation, we're scrolling through to see what's happening in the Facebook world. Oops...we just missed that entire conversation with REAL LIFE PEOPLE. Not that Facebook is always bad, it can be an amazing tool for keeping in touch. I feel closer to my family in Colorado than I could without Facebook. But it's so important to be in tune with our lives and not get sucked into the Facebook world. It's easy to be fake on Facebook. It's easy to say hurtful things when all you have to do is type it in and hit enter. I agree, it's not REAL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook in my opinion is an addictive substance, so many people are hooked on it and dont even know how bad they are till something in the real life happens and shakes them from it.
    Its one of the main reasons i purposely access it only every couple of days. I get in DO WHAT I WANT TO DO! and get out. Anyone that is mad at me for not responding to a request, game invite, post or whatever doesnt bother me.
    Its a TOOL that I USE, for MY OWN entertainment and communication with those i usually wouldnt be able to keep up with. Bottom line is: Use it seldom and use it in the way YOU want.

    ReplyDelete