Monday, March 17, 2014

The war has just begun

Yesterday I shared a meme: 


I consider this a trigger for myself.  Do I have a problem with the quote?  No, it seems inspirational.  Do I have a problem with the model?  Not really, but her picture is a trigger.  The combining of the quote and picture makes it even a bigger trigger.  Why?  Because this meme is telling me that I have to look this way and that if I don't I'm considered a lazy person.  This is how I interpret it.  You can agree or disagree, you can think I'm too sensitive or too harsh.  I don't care and I found out I don't care after caring too much.

On Facebook I said I viewed this ad as body shaming and I asked if anyone agreed.  I was quite surprised at the response I received.  There was a mix of people who agreed and people who didn't.  It doesn't bother me to have different opinions, but how the different opinions were brought up was quite hurtful. I was told I'm too sensitive and that I make weak arguments.  Soda was compared to heroin and Oreos to cocaine, some were inspired to exercise by the ad, some thought that this was a failure to our society, etc.  The conversation got way out of hand and I even apologized for making such a fuss.  I was literally crying because I never meant for this to go so far and I didn't understand the rudeness that was arising.  Don't get me wrong, I still had people who agreed with me, but it was hard to focus on the positives when an opposed response kept going and going and going.  I don't know what they thought they were achieving by being so rude and harsh.  I needed time away from the argument, that I never meant to be an argument but a place to discuss something I thought was important.  I wanted to take back beauty.

Later I realized that I have nothing to be sorry for.  Why should I be sorry for having an opinion on how the media portrays their product?  Why should I be sorry for not agreeing with someone?  Why should I be sorry for having thoughts and feelings?  Why should I be sorry when someone doesn't understand my struggle?  If you think I'm full of crap or don't give a shit about my struggle then I don't need you in my life.  I need positive people in my life, people who will be there for me when I'm having trouble eating a meal, people who when I see something triggering and want to purge talk me down, people who will eat with me because eating alone isn't the smartest thing for me at this early stage of recovery.  If you want to take ED's side of things and want a thinner society then farewell.

If you find this ad to be inspirational, then good for you.  I hope you love and accept yourself as you are.  Unfortunately I feel this kind of ad produces more harm than inspiration, but again that is my opinion.

The war has just begun.  Suit up and prepare for more battles because I'm not done fighting.




4 comments:

  1. RIGHT ON, SISTA! I am literally crying reading this, because I'm so proud of you. This is EXACTLY right.

    You do have the positive people in your life. And we're here for you. GOOD FOR YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chelsey! I don't know what I'd do without you!

      Delete
  2. I understand triggers. Each November when the pink ribbons cover everything I remember that November. What I've learned is that I need the strength to walk away, because if I analyze why and how I feel, if I remember too well, the trigger fires over and over like Lucas McCain's rifle and I'll find myself cowering again. It's a photoshopped digital print. Don't let it run your life or prevent you from dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you mean, Mary. I have to face the triggers though if I want them to stop having so much power over me and others. I can't avoid any trigger possible because it might make me feel or think a certain way. We need to change the face of the media. Do I realize it's been digitally edited? Yes and that kind of thing needs to end.

      Delete